Thursday, February 11, 2010

Putting the right foot foward, and then the left

In the past week I have come to realize that having an outlet like keeping a journal or blogging is a great release for all of that stuff swirling around inside. I have always felt like blogging may be a little bit silly, but it is not about who reads it, it's about what you write. So here we go!
My goal is to write about my passions in life; I have a few. Things like food, biking, traveling, cars, and culture come to mind. I share many of these passions with my better half Sarah. You can read about her at sperrott.blogspot.com. She has a hand in my start to blogging. Actually she has been a source of inspiration for just about every area of my life.
I like eating. I like eating a lot. Sometimes I like to fancy myself as a host on a Travel Channel program when I try new foods, or restaurants. In my head I critique the food in various ways; taste, texture, presentation, smell, etc. Some day I hope to open my own burger and sandwich shop. It's an idea I have been tossing around for many years, but only until recently have I seriously been considering it. I have even gone as far as create a mock menu, and design my ideal layout. I'm not talking about your daddy's burgers either; no grey ground beef grilled burgers. I'm talking about top notch sirloin or pork burgers stuffed with all kinds of yummy things. Mmm, I like eating.
I also like to drive. I like driving a lot. I enjoy going fast; really fast. Sometimes I like to go slow; not too slow. Depending on my mood I'll scoot around town as fast as I can, or head downtown to drive slow and look at all of the buildings. I like the ebb and flow of metropolitan areas. If I'm really feeling ambitious I'll head south of the city and find a deserted back road with plenty of dips, and dives, and twists, and turns.
Often while I driving slowly around town I'll scope out possible venues for my burger joint. It isn't easy trying to decide where to start a restaurant. Do I rent space downtown in the hustle and bustle? Do I build a primo spot out in the burbs? Maybe both? What city is ideal for my burger renaissance? Most importantly, how to I even begin to pay for this?
I think that it is important for new hospitality venues to be active in their community. It is important for several reasons. One, it gets your name out into the marketplace. Two, the more you network, the more will increase your customer base. Three, it is a good way to find a segment or niche in the community, which helps with stability. Four, most importantly it is a way to give back to the community. I enjoy thinking of ways that I could do this through a baller burger joint. Maybe I could host a summer concert series, or a weekly bicycle or motorcycle night. I really like the idea of a weekly bike night, or sponsor bike rides.

Like I said, I like to eat. I think I will like blogging too!

No comments:

Post a Comment